Translate/Traduci!

lunedì 1 ottobre 2012

Shanghai's Zoo Horror



It's national holiday in China for a week, and so I decided to (finally) go to the Shanghai Zoo. Maybe not the best idea, during chinese holiday every place is just overly crowded with (chinese) people. Here's few picture:




 Huge crowd at the Panda exhibition




But anyway me and Mr. S decided to go anyway. Now, before showing other picture you should know few things. First: I love animals and I love zoos. But not every zoo. I like nice and clean zoos in which they take good care of the animals, they help preserving endangered species and they teach people how to treat the animals in the best way. 

Well, I knew that a chinese zoo could probably not be as good as a western one, but I never expected to see what I saw. People were feeding animals with any kind of food (despide the signs forbidding to do so) like fruit, vegetables but also popcorn and sweets. But that's not all. Most of them were having fun throwing bottles of water to any animal they could reach, just for fun. And nobody was stopping them from doing so. I yelled a few people, but it didn't helped much. So I made with pictures:



 The apes are so used to receive food that they learned to ask with their hands



 the baboon enclosure...and the dirt begins




 A baboon dinking Yacult



 White kangaroos?




The lion was trying to sleep when people were throwing bottles at him to wake him up



 Same story, just a moe endangered species. the tiger is chewing a plastic bottle



 Bear just waiting for food to be thrown in his face



 here we have some "hidden" enclosure, in which animals are kept in terrible conditions



 they still enjoy it





 There's also nice places in the zoo, and in fact the problem is not the zoo, but the visitors



 A very smart looking chinese fish

The last enclosure I visited was also the worst, the crocodile one










This made me re-think everything I believed about Chinese people. I've never seen anything like this before in all my life and I rarely been as disgusted by the human kind.

1 commento: